Scotland, CA



I am currently rehearsing for the New American Theatre's "Macbeth Revisited."  I am playing Macduff.  It's going to be a really cool take on Macbeth.  This is the first time I've got to play on this side of the play.  I've been Macbeth, Banquo, Bloody Captain, Murderer, Seyton etc.  But never had a chance to be the resistance.  As a character to fight against Macbeth.  And as an artist, fight against bringing the show to a screeching halt in that Macduff/Malcolm/Ross scene that seemingly goes on forever. 



Later this summer, I will be playing Macbeth himself in Shakespeare by the Sea's production.  I am working with Stephanie Coltrin again and we are a great team.  I am excited to tackle Macbeth again.  I played in 15 years ago.  I'm a different actor than I was then.  I'm a different person that I was then.  So, I expect this will be a different Macbeth than I was then.



I usually don't like to see anything I'm about to work on before I work on it, so as not to cloud my artistic instincts with somebody else's work.  However, in this case I have no choice.  But if I'm going to be influenced by anybody, it might as well be Jack Stehlin who is my mentor and artistic hero.  But in the end, we are different humans so what we bring to the role will be significantly different--even if I steal all that I can use.

This play seems more vital than ever in the landscape of today's political world.  A tyrant who needs to be resisted.  A man who keeps going further and further than anyone thinks he will.

So, that's what I'll be doing this year.  Using art to resist.  Going down the rabbit hole into this terrifying play.  And blog about what I find. Come along with me.  See both shows!  The first in an intimate space, the second in the vastness of the parks of LA.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out, out brief candle...

We are yet but young in deed